How to apply

Applications for 2021 are now closed. Please check back January 2021 to apply for 2022. Thank you! Please let us know if you wish to be added to a wait list should someone cancel.

The Sointula Art Shed residency takes place in a one bedroom cottage beside the shed, which houses the studio space. We welcome writers, musicians, visual and performing artists from around the world to apply for this residency.

Please email the completed application form along with support documentation (see application form for further information) to sointulaartshed[at] When you receive confirmation regarding your residency you will be required to send a deposit which will guarantee your placement.

Sointula has an extremely rich and unique culture and history - please see our links page for more information. Sointula is a small village on Malcolm Island, which is located off of Port McNeill, Northern Vancouver Island, and a residency here is ideal for those artists who seek easy access to nature, quiet and few distractions. The residency cottage consists of a small kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, and a deck, with access to a studio space in our shed next door. The cottage is fully furnished and equipped with dishes, towels and bedding. *Please note that the Sointula Art Shed Residency has a strict no smoking and no candles policy.

Artists wishing to come to Sointula, but requiring a larger space than we can provide, should still get in touch, as we may be able to make arrangements for an off-site residency in another location in Sointula.

Artists in Residence are invited to give one (optional) public talk, performance or workshop during their residency, as well as show their work in our Window Gallery, if they choose. (Please see Window Gallery link above for more information).

Participants are responsible for the cost of all transportation to and from Sointula, BC, as well as all materials related to their artwork and for personal living expenses including food.ll successful applicants are encouraged to apply for travel grants from the Canada Council for the Arts or their provincial/regional arts councils.